This qualification is:
- aimed at trainee chefs who spend a significant amount of time, if not all of their time, in the kitchen.
- designed to help learners improve their knowledge and skills within a kitchen environment and will result in a nationally recognised City & Guilds accredited qualification.
- suitable for existing chefs or for learners who are interested in starting a career in cheffing
- delivered entirely in the workplace.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
This qualification is designed for those working in a cheffing role or similar, or those who would like to develop knowledge of this area prior to commencing employment. It provides you with knowledge and understanding across a range of professional cookery concepts and practices. You will be expected to keep a record of dishes that you cook or prepare between visits so that they can be used as evidence towards your qualification.
WHAT WILL I STUDY?
The Professional Cookery Apprenticeship is made up of mandatory and optional units and your Assessor will help you chose the correct number of optional units to achieve the qualification.
- MAINTENANCE OF A SAFE, HYGIENIC AND SECURE WORKING ENVIRONMENT
- WORKING EFFECTIVELY AS PART OF A HOSPITALITY TEAM
- MAINTAIN FOOD SAFETY WHEN STORING, PREPARING AND COOKING FOOD
- MAINTAIN, HANDLE AND CLEAN KNIVES
OPTIONAL UNITS INCLUDE:
- COOK AND FINISH BASIC POULTRY DISHES
- PREPARE, COOK AND FINISH BASIC EGG DISHES
- COMPLETE KITCHEN DOCUMENTATION
- MAKE BASIC STOCK
- SET UP AND CLOSE KITCHEN
- PREPARE FISH FOR BASIC DISHES
Additional Units based on job role.
WHERE DO I STUDY?
You will work towards the Professional Cookery Level 2 qualification in the workplace.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?
WHAT DOES THE COURSE LEAD TO?
Intermediate apprentices, with support and opportunities in the workplace, can progress onto:
- Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in Professional Cookery, however they would also have to receive a significant promotion in order to enrol on the level 3.
- Other level 3 advanced apprenticeships such as hospitality supervision
- Advanced Diplomas in a range of related sectors
With additional training, Intermediate apprentices may be able to progress in their careers over time to roles including sous chef or similar.
HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED?
This qualification requires you to demonstrate the skills and knowledge required to work in a professional cookery role.